the road trip
Our very own Sandra Mulder took a one-month sabbatical in 2019 to pursue a personal documentary photography project. Over the span of 4 weeks she travelled 11,000km through 5 provinces and 7 US states—in a van with her family.
Sandra & her family
She and her family travelled north from Hamilton to Sudbury, then on to Sault Ste. Marie where they crossed the border into Michigan. They continued on through Wisconsin and Minnesota, and veered north of the border again into Manitoba and then West through Saskatchewan, Alberta (with stops in Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper), and BC. On the coast, Sandra and her crew ditched the RV for a sailboat and sailed for three days around Mayne Island, then hopped on a ferry to Vancouver Island. Next: back to the USA. The Mulder family departed for Port Angeles, Washington and began their long trek home state-side.
The highlight reel for Sandra:
- The Canadian Human Rights Museum in Winnipeg
- The Rocky Mountains
- The Columbia Icefield Skywalk — a glass-floor observation deck overlooking a 280m drop!
- 600+ year old trees in Cathedral Grove
- Botanical Beach on Vancouver Island; Sandra calls it her “favourite spot in the world to date!”
- Yellowstone National Park
check out more magic from our portfolio